Veterans and Military Support
Many individuals and family members may experience a variety of adjustment reactions to the stress of deployment or combat. These adjustment reactions may comprise depression, generalized anxiety, irritability, nightmares, intrusive thoughts, flashbacks, difficulty sleeping, feelings of detachment, and increased alcohol and other drug use.
Below are links to behavioral health care information for those who have served and continue to serve, as well as their families, providers, community members, agency partners and others who want to support the health and wellness of service members.
Star Behavioral Health Providers
Star Behavioral Health Providers (SBHP) is a resource for veterans, service members and their families to locate behavioral health professionals with specialized training in understanding and treating military service members and their families. Those listed in this registry have completed a series of trainings that are intended to make them better able to understand, assess and counsel members of the military.
OHIOCARES is a collaboration of the Ohio Adjutant General, the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, community behavioral health boards and provider organizations to improve access to timely and appropriate community services to veterans, service members and their families.
A key purpose of OHIOCARES is to enhance the “safety net” of community behavioral health services available for military personnel and their families and to complement the services available through the Department of Veterans Affairs and Vet Centers by linkages with county alcohol, drug and mental health boards and behavioral health care providers.
OHIOCARES is guided by four objectives:
- Maintain and grow the network of behavioral health providers available to service members, veterans, and their families
- Train and educate providers on behavioral health issues related to the military
- Coordinate behavioral health services for Service Members, veterans, and their families
- Promote awareness about OHIOCARES and behavioral health issues related to the military.
To learn more please visit the OHIOCARES website.
Find Services and Supports
- Ohio Department of Veterans Services
- Ohio Association of County Behavioral Health Authorities (OACBHA)
- Deployment Health Clinical Center (DHCC) - Post-Deployment Healthcare
- National Military Family Association
- Naval Center Combat & Operational Stress Control (NCCOSC)
- Real Warriors
- SAMHSA's Resource Center to Promote Acceptance, Dignity and Social Inclusion Associated with Mental Health (ADS Center)
- Talking with a Veteran in Crisis
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - Veteran Outreach Toolkit
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - National Center for PTSD
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - Geriatrics and Extended Care
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Military Child Education Coalition
- Operation: Military Kids
- Make the Connection - Hear Stories of Recovery from Veterans Like You
- We Honor Veterans