Web Content Viewer

Resource for Family Members

 Is my family member eligible for Recovery Requires a Community?

Your family member may be eligible to apply for Recovery Requires a Community if he or she:

  • Currently receives treatment in a nursing home and plans to transition to the community or has recently transitioned from a nursing home to the community within the last ninety (90) days;
  • Is enrolled in Medicaid;
  • Has a behavioral health diagnosis (includes mental illness and substance use disorders);
  • Has sufficient income or the means to sustain community living at the time of transition; and
  • Has needs that can be safely met through the Recovery program or a combination of community resources.

How can Recovery Requires a Community help?

Recovery funds can be used in many ways to help your family member transition to the community. Some examples include providing short-term housing assistance, a one-time payment of utility arrears, supplemental independent living assistance (such as homemaker/personal care services or independent living skills training), or other needs that will support your family member’s ability to live sustainably in the community. Recovery funding amounts are determined on an individual basis by looking at your family member’s needs and challenges to his or her transition to the community.

How can I help my family member apply for Recovery Requires a Community?

The Recovery Requires a Community application forms must be submitted to OhioMHAS before your family member discharges from the nursing home or within ninety (90) days of your family member’s discharge from a nursing facility into the community. A discharge planner or other service provider (such as a case manager) may be able to help identify your family member’s needs when completing the application. Please complete the following forms and submit them via fax (614) 488-4504 or encrypted email to Recovery@mha.ohio.gov:.

The application should list all possible needs your family member may have when transitioning to the community. Once an application is received, the Recovery Requires a Community Administrator will review the forms and may have questions to learn more about the funding request. Once a decision has been made, the Recovery Administrator will contact your family member’s discharge planner or service provider to discuss how Recovery funds may help. 

How will my family member receive Recovery Requires a Community funds?

Your family member will not directly receive Recovery funds. OhioMHAS will reimburse the provider agency working with your family member (such as the Transition Coordination or Community Mental Health agency) for funds spent on items or services approved by Recovery Requires a Community.

My family member is enrolled in the HOME Choice Program. Can Recovery Requires a Community and HOME Choice be used together?

Recovery Requires a Community and HOME Choice are separate programs – Recovery is administered by OhioMHAS and HOME Choice is administered by the Ohio Department of Medicaid (ODM). Your family member may be eligible to enroll in both programs and receive assistance. Please visit the ODM website for more information about HOME Choice.

How do I contact OhioMHAS?

For more information about Recovery Requires a Community, please contact Community Transitions via email Recovery@mha.ohio.gov or call 614-644-0617.